Relocation of 376 Families and 3 Forest Villages from Gir Lion Reserves
PIB Press Release
Preparatory measures for relocation including adequate publicity in local language have been undertaken for relocation of 376 families and 3 forest villages from Gir Lion Reserve. This has been informed by the Government of Gujarat to the Minuistry The Government of Gujarat has submitted a proposal titled 'A plan for consolidating long term conservation of Asiatic lions (Panthera leo persica) at the Greater Gir region including the Gir Protected Area System'. The proposal also includes a component for relocation of 376 families and 3 forest villages from Gir.
The Planning Commission has 'in principle' approved an amount of Rs.262.36 crores for a period of five years for this project proposal and suggested that financial assistance under the project may be met out of the ongoing scheme of 'Integrated Development of Wildlife Habitats'. As the fund allocation under the scheme 'Integrated Development of Wildlife Habitats' is meager, the project for lion could not be accommodated within this scheme.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Environment and Forests (independent charge) Shri Jairam Ramesh in a written reply to a question by Shri Natuji Halaji Thakor in Rajya Sabha today.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Relocation of 376 Families and 3 Forest Villages f...
- Guns out for maneater on the prowl
- Lion-Leopard on the same kill!
- Asiatic lions to spend quieter evenings in Gir
- Land prices shoot up; new hotels coming up
- Tourism activities increase
- Farmers have field day hosting 'sleep with lions' ...
- Gir locals offer instant homestays to meet tourist...
- Gir attracts 33K visitors, earns 42L during Diwali...
- Leopard Rescued from Open Well in Gir
- SRK hunting for plot in lion’s den?
- Amitabh’s endorsement lures tourists to Gujarat’s ...
- Beat guards double as guides to meet rush
- Shaying – The Gir song (Invader ZIM)
- Steering clear: No shortcuts through lion country,...
- Six poachers held with Gun at Karamdadi(GirE)
- More permits, new routes inside forest
- It’s roaring biz for Gir courtesy Big B
- ▼ November 2010 (18)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)