Leopard skin scam key accused to take lie detector test
The Times of India By Pramod Panwar
The forest department of Sabarkantha has decided to put the key accused in the leopard skin trade scam Babu Modiya and his brother-in-law Soma Kotad under the polygraph (lie detector test) to recover the carcass, nails, whiskers of the leopard, which these men had killed and skinned it. The accused were trying to sell off the skin when the scam was busted on March 31 during a sting operation by forest department.
After the arrest of Modiya, the key conspirator; on April 15, Kotad was arrested on April 28 from Mohanpur village near Durgapur in Rajasthan. Primary investigation revealed that 10 months ago Modiya and his two accomplices including Kotad killed the leopard near the valley of flowers on th Rajasthan border; they sold off its nails and buried the remains of its body ear Nalva village in Rajasthan.
"We have not be able to extract any further useful information from the duo. Even after taking Modiya and Kotad to different spots in the forest, we could not get them to divulge any useful information regarding the body parts of the dead leopard or any previous killings of wildlife that they may have made," admitted assistant conservator of forests Sabarkantha RM Desai.
"Both Modiya and Kotad are misleading investigators. They have not led them to the exact place where they buried the carcass of the big cat 10 months ago. We are left with no other alternative but to put both the accused through a lie detection test," Desai said.
"Our counterparts in Rajasthan suspect the duo's involvement in previous poaching cases within their jurisdiction. We are trying to increase their remand period for the lie detection test," he added
In the first ever sting operation carried out by the forest department, an old leopard skin was recovers on March 31 night. In a joint operation of Intelligence Bureau officials and the forest department, four members of a gang, which was into animal skin trade, were arrested.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- Gir gets a bed to fit in Big B!
- Bachchan to shoot with Gir lions
- Bristol Zoo Asiatic lion dies
- Leopard attacks farm labour
- Amitabh Bachchan’s Gujarat tourism ad film shoot f...
- Lion attacks, injures 2 in Talaja
- Lion Attacks two at Dhachad-Medha
- Move the lions
- Gujarat uses technology to count Asiatic lions
- 3. THE FUTURE OF INDIAN TIGERS AND ASIATIC LIONS.
- 2. THE FUTURE OF INDIAN TIGERS AND ASIATIC LIONS.
- Caged king
- Man attacked by lion, hospitalised
- Lion injured in infight
- Mother’s Day: Mother fights with leopard to save s...
- Probe ordered into deaths of 11 blackbucks in Guja...
- Eleven blackbucks found dead, poisoning not ruled ...
- Leopard kills 20 sheep in Bhavnagar village
- Lion attacks man at Padargadh
- Counting Gir’s Big Cats
- Move to shift Maldharis raises debate again
- LION MAANGE MORE
- Will Girnar be included in vulture count?
- Volunteers threaten to boycott vulture census
- Sharing the pride
- Leopard caged in Amreli village, sent to Sakkarbau...
- MP eyes 74 lions
- Boy dragged away by leopard, killed in Amreli vill...
- Leopard killed after injuring 4
- Man-eating leopard caged in Girnar
- Man killed by leopard
- 4 crocodiles caught in Itari – Sarkaria village
- Amreli is Junagadh's rival as host of lions in Guj...
- Lions hold their ground in Gir forests
- Roaring success: Lion count in Gujarat up by 52 si...
- Leopard skin scam key accused to take lie detector...
- Lion census: Gujarat’s pride crosses 400
- Lion count tempers tiger gloom
- India says numbers of Asiatic Lion rise
- 74 big cats outside Gir sanctuary
- NO LIONS FOR MADHYA PRADESH: MODI
- Roaring success: Lion numbers leap in Gujarat
- Number of Asiatic Lions increase to 411 in Gujarat...
- Show – cause notice to Forester
- ▼ May 2010 (44)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)