Ramesh's plan not feasible, say government, contractor
Times of India By Himanshu Kaushik
The state forest department and the ropeway operator have found faults with Union minister Jairam Ramesh's alternatives proposed for the Girnar ropeway. They say that if it launches from Datar, the pilgrim will have to climb up to Bhavnath Taleti to get on to a cable car. This will hinder the vulture nesting site. In case of the second alternative, if launched from Bhesan, this cable will pass through the home of the Asiatic lions in Gir Sanctuary.
"The purpose is to give a smooth ride to the pilgrims. If we were to start an alignment from Bhesan, it would mean that the pilgrims after visiting Bhavnath, an important destination, will have to travel 35 km to catch the ropeway. From Datar, they will have to climb halfway before catching the ropeway," said Deepak Kapilesh of Usha Breco, the contractor for the project.
For starting from Bhesan, the authorities will have to construct a road for pilgrims which will create trouble for lions in the protected area and dolis will have to be used to carry elderly pilgrims in case of a Datar connection, said forest officials. Kapilesh added that Bhesan was too far from the hill to connect by cable.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- In fallen Jethava’s Kodinar, locals rise to hold f...
- Power corp dropped Kodinar project over green conc...
- Gujarat seeks Central nod for ring road around Gir...
- Gujarat declares six zones as ‘eco-fragile’
- State seeks Rs600 crore for road around Gir sanctu...
- Second chargesheet filed in Amit Jethava murder ca...
- Can’t satisfy all demands of green activists: Jair...
- Ramesh launches consortium to save vultures
- Lion-hearted pride adopts 15-mth-old cub
- Ropeway will reduce labour of Girnar trek
- First vulture chick born at Sakkarbaug zoo
- Not lions, but vultures cause of worry
- ‘MoEF condition may make Girnar ropeway non-viable...
- Girnar ropeway will 'sound death knell for Gir vul...
- Jairam clears Gujarat ropeway project with vulture...
- Ramesh’s plan not feasible, say government, contra...
- Ramesh clears Girnar ropeway project
- Non-violence in Lion Kingdom
- SAVING INDIA’S PRIDE
- Junagadh, the Buddhist centre of Gujarat
- State to convert 11 villages on Gir periphery to r...
- Maldharis want to live close to lions
- New plan to move Maldharis out of Gir
- ▼ February 2011 (23)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)