Gujarat declares six zones as 'eco-fragile'
DNA By Paras K Jha
Before the Supreme Court takes any punitive action, the state government took the initiative and has declared six areas in the state as 'eco fragile' zones. The notification will be published in the central government gazette in next couple days.
Talking about the 'eco fragile' zones, the principal secretary for state forest and environment department, SK Nanda said, "The Supreme Court had directed all states in the country to identify such 'eco fragile' zones. Moreover the apex court had also said that if any state would fail to identify such eco fragile zones, it will decide such zones in that particular state on their own and the area may be extend up to 10 sq kilometers."
An 'eco fragile' zone is an area which has unique environment and where the ecological balance should be maintained. Nanda further said, "We have identified Vansada, Girnar, Narayan Sarovar, Gir, Danta Amirgadh and area of Ratanmahal to Jambughoda as these sensitive zones. An average area of 1 to 5 sq km has been set as the boundary. Now such areas will not have any sort of mining, blasting, industry or any kind of activities, which may be harmful to the environment (trees, soil, water, flora and fauna) of these areas in the prescribed boundaries under 'eco fragile' zone."
However, it seems that after the declaration of these areas as eco fragile zones, there may be problems in setting up hotels in Gir, or industries in Vansada, or any kind of mining activities in Narayan Sarovar area."While identifying these areas as 'eco fragile' zones, we have taken into consideration the interests of people living in these areas, wildlife, livestock," Nanda said.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- In fallen Jethava’s Kodinar, locals rise to hold f...
- Power corp dropped Kodinar project over green conc...
- Gujarat seeks Central nod for ring road around Gir...
- Gujarat declares six zones as ‘eco-fragile’
- State seeks Rs600 crore for road around Gir sanctu...
- Second chargesheet filed in Amit Jethava murder ca...
- Can’t satisfy all demands of green activists: Jair...
- Ramesh launches consortium to save vultures
- Lion-hearted pride adopts 15-mth-old cub
- Ropeway will reduce labour of Girnar trek
- First vulture chick born at Sakkarbaug zoo
- Not lions, but vultures cause of worry
- ‘MoEF condition may make Girnar ropeway non-viable...
- Girnar ropeway will 'sound death knell for Gir vul...
- Jairam clears Gujarat ropeway project with vulture...
- Ramesh’s plan not feasible, say government, contra...
- Ramesh clears Girnar ropeway project
- Non-violence in Lion Kingdom
- SAVING INDIA’S PRIDE
- Junagadh, the Buddhist centre of Gujarat
- State to convert 11 villages on Gir periphery to r...
- Maldharis want to live close to lions
- New plan to move Maldharis out of Gir
- ▼ February 2011 (23)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)