Gujarat seeks Central nod for ring road around Gir
Gujarat on Monday asked the Centre to sanction funds for building a ring road around the famous Gir Sanctuary as part of efforts to protect and conserve Asiatic Lions in the region.
Gujarat Forest and Environment Minister Mangubhai Patel made the demand during a meeting with Union Environment and Forests Minister Jairam Ramesh here.
He asked Ramesh to approve Rs 600 crore for constructing ring road around Gir Lion Sanctuary for protection and conservation of the lions.
During the meeting, Patel also requested Ramesh that the Compensatory Afforestation Management Fund (CAMPA) due to Gujarat be released as soon as possible.
The Gujarat Government has a total provision of Rs 485 crore for compensatory funds parked with Centre, which includes Rs 132.63 crore towards compensatory afforestation and Rs 349.72 crore towards net present value.
Patel said that adhoc CAMPA has been released so far by the central government in two instalments for Gujarat amounting to Rs 24.96 crore and Rs 29.16 crore which was "utterly inadequate".
He also requested Ramesh to release fund for 'State Forest Development Agency' and the 'Greening India Programme' schemes.
Gujarat Minister of State for Forest & Environment Kiritsinh Rana, Principal Secretary, Forest & Environment SK Nanda and Principal Chief Conservator of Forest Pradeep Khanna were also present during the meeting.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- In fallen Jethava’s Kodinar, locals rise to hold f...
- Power corp dropped Kodinar project over green conc...
- Gujarat seeks Central nod for ring road around Gir...
- Gujarat declares six zones as ‘eco-fragile’
- State seeks Rs600 crore for road around Gir sanctu...
- Second chargesheet filed in Amit Jethava murder ca...
- Can’t satisfy all demands of green activists: Jair...
- Ramesh launches consortium to save vultures
- Lion-hearted pride adopts 15-mth-old cub
- Ropeway will reduce labour of Girnar trek
- First vulture chick born at Sakkarbaug zoo
- Not lions, but vultures cause of worry
- ‘MoEF condition may make Girnar ropeway non-viable...
- Girnar ropeway will 'sound death knell for Gir vul...
- Jairam clears Gujarat ropeway project with vulture...
- Ramesh’s plan not feasible, say government, contra...
- Ramesh clears Girnar ropeway project
- Non-violence in Lion Kingdom
- SAVING INDIA’S PRIDE
- Junagadh, the Buddhist centre of Gujarat
- State to convert 11 villages on Gir periphery to r...
- Maldharis want to live close to lions
- New plan to move Maldharis out of Gir
- ▼ February 2011 (23)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)