Not lions, but vultures cause of worry
Indian Express By Kapil Dave
The reserved forest is a sanctuary to the surviving Asiatic lion species, but it is the Long Billed Vulture locally known as Girnari Giddh, a critically endangered species, whose concern affects the ropeway project.
Now scattered across Sindh in Pakistan and various parts of India, they are found to be surviving mostly in Gir in Gujarat. Use of dicolfenac in cattle feed is considered one of the main reasons behind their extinction.
In September 2009, environmentalists came around in Junagadh to raise awareness for their survival on the occasion of International Vulture Awareness Day, while constant lobbying by wildlife enthusiasts to protect the bird is on.
Former Gujarat minister of state for environment and forest Kiritsinh Rana, had in reply to a question on February 20, 2009 during Question hour in the Assembly, admitted that the vulture population in Gujarat had reduced from 2,647 in 2005 to 1,431 in 2007.
Incidentally, Gujarat is among the first states in India to ban the use of diclofenac.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- In fallen Jethava’s Kodinar, locals rise to hold f...
- Power corp dropped Kodinar project over green conc...
- Gujarat seeks Central nod for ring road around Gir...
- Gujarat declares six zones as ‘eco-fragile’
- State seeks Rs600 crore for road around Gir sanctu...
- Second chargesheet filed in Amit Jethava murder ca...
- Can’t satisfy all demands of green activists: Jair...
- Ramesh launches consortium to save vultures
- Lion-hearted pride adopts 15-mth-old cub
- Ropeway will reduce labour of Girnar trek
- First vulture chick born at Sakkarbaug zoo
- Not lions, but vultures cause of worry
- ‘MoEF condition may make Girnar ropeway non-viable...
- Girnar ropeway will 'sound death knell for Gir vul...
- Jairam clears Gujarat ropeway project with vulture...
- Ramesh’s plan not feasible, say government, contra...
- Ramesh clears Girnar ropeway project
- Non-violence in Lion Kingdom
- SAVING INDIA’S PRIDE
- Junagadh, the Buddhist centre of Gujarat
- State to convert 11 villages on Gir periphery to r...
- Maldharis want to live close to lions
- New plan to move Maldharis out of Gir
- ▼ February 2011 (23)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)