Non-violence in Lion Kingdom
Times of India
Inscriptions At The Rock Edict In Girnar Give An Insight Into The Mind Of Ashoka
Frown on animal slaughter
Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, has caused this Dhamma edict to be written. Here (in my domain) no living beings are to be slaughtered or offered in sacrifice. Nor should festivals be held, for Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, sees much to object to in such festivals, although there are some festivals that Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does approve of.
Wherever medical herbs suitable for humans or animals are not available, I have had them imported and grown. Wherever medical roots or fruits are not available I have had them imported and grown. Along roads I have had wells dug and trees planted for the benefit of humans and animals.
Saving is good
Everywhere in my domain the Yuktas, the Rajjukas and the Pradesikas shall go on inspection tours every five years for the purpose of Dhamma instruction and also to conduct other business. Respect for mother and father is good, generosity to friends, acquaintances, relatives, Brahmans and ascetics is good, not killing living beings is good, moderation in spending is good.
For successors to follow
This edict has been written so that it may please my successors to devote themselves to promoting these things and not allow them to decline. Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, has had this written twelve years after his coronation. This Dhamma edict has been written on stone so that it might endure long and that my descendants might act in conformity with it.
Keep up the good work
To do good is difficult. One who does good first does something hard to do. I have done many good deeds, and, if my sons, grandsons and their descendants up to the end of the world act in like manner, they too will do much good. But whoever amongst them neglects this, they will do evil. Truly, it is easy to do evil.
An alert ruler
In the past, state business was not transacted nor were reports delivered to the king at all hours. But now I have given this order, that at any time, whether I am eating, in the women's quarters, the bed chamber, the chariot, the palanquin, in the park or wherever, reporters are to be posted with instructions to report to me the affairs of the people so that I might attend to these affairs wherever I am.
All religions should reside everywhere, for all them desire self-control and purity of heart. But people have various desires and various passions, and they may practise all of what they should or only a part of it. But one who receives great gifts yet is lacking in selfcontrol, purity of heart, gratitude and firm devotion, such a person is mean.
What does bear great fruit, however, is the ceremony of the Dhamma. This involves proper behaviour towards servants and employees, respect for teachers, restraint towards living beings, and generosity towards ascetics and Brahmans
Don't kill, don't deport
Indeed, Beloved-of-the-Gods is deeply pained by the killing, dying and deportation that take place when an unconquered country is conquered.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- In fallen Jethava’s Kodinar, locals rise to hold f...
- Power corp dropped Kodinar project over green conc...
- Gujarat seeks Central nod for ring road around Gir...
- Gujarat declares six zones as ‘eco-fragile’
- State seeks Rs600 crore for road around Gir sanctu...
- Second chargesheet filed in Amit Jethava murder ca...
- Can’t satisfy all demands of green activists: Jair...
- Ramesh launches consortium to save vultures
- Lion-hearted pride adopts 15-mth-old cub
- Ropeway will reduce labour of Girnar trek
- First vulture chick born at Sakkarbaug zoo
- Not lions, but vultures cause of worry
- ‘MoEF condition may make Girnar ropeway non-viable...
- Girnar ropeway will 'sound death knell for Gir vul...
- Jairam clears Gujarat ropeway project with vulture...
- Ramesh’s plan not feasible, say government, contra...
- Ramesh clears Girnar ropeway project
- Non-violence in Lion Kingdom
- SAVING INDIA’S PRIDE
- Junagadh, the Buddhist centre of Gujarat
- State to convert 11 villages on Gir periphery to r...
- Maldharis want to live close to lions
- New plan to move Maldharis out of Gir
- ▼ February 2011 (23)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)