Ramesh cancels visit to Girnar ropeway site
Times of India
Union minister for environment and forests Jairam Ramesh, who was to visit Sasan Gir Asiatic Lion Sanctuary and the site of proposed ropeway project at Girnar Mountains in Junagadh district, had cancelled the programme at the last moment, leaving many people disappointed.
Ramesh was to arrive at Sasan Gir on the night of January 14. On Saturday morning, the minister was to see the Asiatic lions at the Gir Wildlife Sanctuary and then visit the proposed site of Girnar Ropeway Project, which awaits clearance from his ministry and is delayed for various reasons. The project went for approval to the Union ministry of environment and forests after the 178.88 sq km area, including Mount Girnar in Girnar forest, was declared as wildlife sanctuary in 2008.
Conservationists say the proposed ropeway project will harm the nests of vultures, an endangered species, located on the mountains. "We have made several representations and also sent one lakh signatures to the Union environment ministry, asking that the project be given the nod. When we met Jairam Ramesh in Delhi, he assured us that he would visit the place, but has not been able to do so far. We urge him to either visit the site at the earliest or give nod to the project," said Junagadh BJP MLA Mahendra Masharu.
- ► 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Jairam urges Gujarat Govt to provide lions for Kun...
- Ramesh again favours M.P. as ‘second home' for Asi...
- Jairam wants a few Gir lions for MP
- Jairam roar in Modi's den
- Asiatic lion in Gir under threat from disease, say...
- Fearing inbreeding, Jairam wants Asiatic lion relo...
- More funds to ensure better tourism facilities
- Tourism corp properties up for sale?
- Girnar ropeway project under scanner
- MP, Guj govts must fight it out: Jairam
- Mangrol adopts whale shark as mascot
- Illegal mining: After HC rap, govt orders to form ...
- Gujarat sets up special task force to check illega...
- Farmers build six feet high MACHANS for protection...
- Lion jumps over Seven feet wall to kill
- Ramesh cancels visit to Girnar ropeway site
- Jairam Ramesh to visit Girnar ropeway project site...
- Lions Invade Villages and Attack Livestock in Indi...
- AMC to host environment film festival from Jan 17
- India: Gujarat's wildlife, culture and cuisine
- MP-Gujarat battle over Asiatic lion's share hots u...
- Gir popularity soars, 33% rise in inflow of foreig...
- Lion dies in MP zoo
- ▼ January 2011 (23)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)