Jairam roar in Modi's den
The Times of India
Union Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh today pressed Gujarat to part with some of its lions, saying they should be translocated and have a second home in Madhya Pradesh.
The Minister, who visited Sasan Gir Sanctuary in Junagadh district, the only abode of Asiatic lions, said he is hopeful that the Narendra Modi government will agree to the proposal of having a second home for Gujarat lions in MP.
Gujarat Government has rejected Jairam Ramesh's proposal on Gir Lions. Gujarat Government has said there is no need to shift Gir Lions out of Gujarat and that the Asiatic Lions are safe in Gir.
The Gujarat government ealier also rejected the proposal made several times before on the ground the Gir lions were the "pride" of the state.
The issue of sharing Gir lions with MP is a bone of contention between the Governments of Gujarat, MP and the Centre.
"You know more than 1,000 lions died due to diseases in Tanzania. Here in Gir, the lions have an inbreed population and genetic diversity of the lions here is also limited," Ramesh told reporters after a visit to the sanctuary.
"Many scientists are of the view that the lions should have a second home. I have written to the Gujarat Government to transfer some lions to MP. "But the Government here thinks lions are their pride possession," Ramesh said, adding he hopes that someday the proposal to translocate the lions will be accepted by the State Government.
The Gujarat Government has time and again made it clear it will not share the big cats with MP. As per the last Census, the sanctuary is home to around 400 lions.
Ramesh has even offered Modi tigers in exchange for lions. But Modi's response was, "We want Gujarat to have tigers, but we will not give our lions."
Ramesh also went on a safari and was lucky to sight eight lions. He inspected various facilities in the sanctuary for the wildlife.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Jairam urges Gujarat Govt to provide lions for Kun...
- Ramesh again favours M.P. as ‘second home' for Asi...
- Jairam wants a few Gir lions for MP
- Jairam roar in Modi's den
- Asiatic lion in Gir under threat from disease, say...
- Fearing inbreeding, Jairam wants Asiatic lion relo...
- More funds to ensure better tourism facilities
- Tourism corp properties up for sale?
- Girnar ropeway project under scanner
- MP, Guj govts must fight it out: Jairam
- Mangrol adopts whale shark as mascot
- Illegal mining: After HC rap, govt orders to form ...
- Gujarat sets up special task force to check illega...
- Farmers build six feet high MACHANS for protection...
- Lion jumps over Seven feet wall to kill
- Ramesh cancels visit to Girnar ropeway site
- Jairam Ramesh to visit Girnar ropeway project site...
- Lions Invade Villages and Attack Livestock in Indi...
- AMC to host environment film festival from Jan 17
- India: Gujarat's wildlife, culture and cuisine
- MP-Gujarat battle over Asiatic lion's share hots u...
- Gir popularity soars, 33% rise in inflow of foreig...
- Lion dies in MP zoo
- ▼ January 2011 (23)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)