Sasan town observes bandh in protest against lion's death
Times of India
Sasan town in Junagadh district, famous for Gir Wildlife Sanctuary, on Wednesday observed a half day bandh to protest against forest deparment's failure of saving a lion which died after falling down from a bridge.
Entire village remained closed for half-day even auto rickshaw and ferry service operators also extended their support by joining in the bandh which was called by local residents in protest against the forest department, sources said.
They also submitted a memorandum to the forest department and demanded that strict action be taken against the responsible forest officials whose alleged carelessness caused a lion's death, they said.
An eight-year-lion died yesterday after falling off a 15 meter birdge constructed on a Hiran river.
The villagers in the memorandum also sought that lion show being organised by the forest department for tourist should be cancelled to save life of lions.
However, deputy conservator of forest, Amit Kumar could not be contacted to highlight the cause of the lion's death but sources from the forest department did not rule out possibility that the lion might have been hit by a moving vehicle.
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Leopard rescued after falling into well in Junagad...
- ‘Site’ing the right reasons: critical evaluation o...
- Pictures of female leopard that died in train acci...
- Three leopards dead in Junagadh
- In one day, three leopards die in Junagadh
- Three being inquired in lioness killing
- Leopard rescued from well in Junagadh village
- Gir patrol staff to be equipped with GPS units
- Forest Dept. making list of doubtful persons in li...
- Lioness killed in Gir forest
- Lioness was killed, but poaching ruled out
- 24 Lions killed in 30 years
- “State mourning” for a lion in Junagarh
- Mystery death of lion solved: eyewitness tracked
- LION REINTRODUCTION SITE, KUNO WILDLIFE SANCTUARY"...
- When lions stopped cops in their tracks
- 59 animals have died in road accidents in last 5 y...
- Leopard attacks woman in her home
- Tribute to dead lion by Sasan
- Sasan town observes bandh in protest against lion'...
- Bandh in Gujarat town in protest against lion's de...
- Lion falls from the bridge, dies
- Lion dies after falling off bridge in Gir
- Lioness' honeymoon has authorities on tenterhooks
- Lion death due to falling off the bridge
- Six Leopard caged in one month
- 59 animals died in road accidents in Gir
- Carcass of lion cub found
- Minister objects to eviction
- Ramesh to visit Mount Girnar to take stock of rope...
- Tracking the lion
- ▼ December 2009 (31)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)