Lioness was killed, but poaching ruled out
Times of India
The postmortem report of a lioness found dead in Gir two days ago stated that the big cat died due to severe injuries by a sharp weapon. The forest department has booked an offence under the Wildlife Protection Act 1972 and are further investigating.
District conservator of forests, Dhari, VJ Rana told TOI, "The lioness, aged around 10 years, was found dead on December 16 in the Rajasthali nes of Tulsishyam range of Gir forest in Dhari taluka of Amreli district."
The body was sent for postmortem to Sasan town in Gir. "The lion died due to severe injuries to the left thoracic (heart) part of the body with a sharp instrument like an axe," Rana said.
Sources said the wounds were so severe that two ribs of the lionesses body were broken. Ruling out the possibility of poaching, Rana said, "There is no doubt that it's an unnatural death. However, as the nails and skin of the animal were found intact, therefore, prima facie this does not look like an act of poaching."
A source in the forest department said officials are investigating the possibility that Maldharis of the area killed the big cat in self defence or to protect their domestic livestock. "It's a possibility that the killing may have occurred due to self defence or retaliation after domestic animals were killed," a source said.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Leopard rescued after falling into well in Junagad...
- ‘Site’ing the right reasons: critical evaluation o...
- Pictures of female leopard that died in train acci...
- Three leopards dead in Junagadh
- In one day, three leopards die in Junagadh
- Three being inquired in lioness killing
- Leopard rescued from well in Junagadh village
- Gir patrol staff to be equipped with GPS units
- Forest Dept. making list of doubtful persons in li...
- Lioness killed in Gir forest
- Lioness was killed, but poaching ruled out
- 24 Lions killed in 30 years
- “State mourning” for a lion in Junagarh
- Mystery death of lion solved: eyewitness tracked
- LION REINTRODUCTION SITE, KUNO WILDLIFE SANCTUARY"...
- When lions stopped cops in their tracks
- 59 animals have died in road accidents in last 5 y...
- Leopard attacks woman in her home
- Tribute to dead lion by Sasan
- Sasan town observes bandh in protest against lion'...
- Bandh in Gujarat town in protest against lion's de...
- Lion falls from the bridge, dies
- Lion dies after falling off bridge in Gir
- Lioness' honeymoon has authorities on tenterhooks
- Lion death due to falling off the bridge
- Six Leopard caged in one month
- 59 animals died in road accidents in Gir
- Carcass of lion cub found
- Minister objects to eviction
- Ramesh to visit Mount Girnar to take stock of rope...
- Tracking the lion
- ▼ December 2009 (31)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)