Lion kills its mate in Talala forest area
Times of India
Following a fight between a lion couple, a six-year-old lioness was killed at Dhava beat in Talala Gir forest area.
The mutilated carcass of the lioness was recovered by forest officials of Gir west and postmortem was conducted. Officials put the cause of death as infighting.
"This incident is rare but not uncommon as among wild animals, especially lions, males take over the female completely and she might try to flee showing 'pseudo estrous' (false pregnancy). Till the lion gets smells indicating she is in heat, he will not let her go and keep trying to mate with her," said a forest department official.
Explaining the wild cat's behavioral pattern, he added, "The lion becomes more and more aggressive till the lioness is completely out of her cycle and the smell goes."
Another such case took place in 2002 in Gir. Since then, this is the first such incident reported. As the carcass found was two days old, it appears the fight must have taken place three days ago. The lion might have been fatally injured and succumbed later, said the official.
"Fights of this nature do take place. But generally they're mock fights and lions don't injure their mating partners. It's only don't injure their mating partners. It's only when the female tries to escape, that the lion injures her to make her bow to his wishes,' said another official.
He added that after a fight between two lions over territory, the victor takes the loser's place in the pride. In such a situation, if a females is in her monthly cycle he gets immediately attracted to her. If she resists too much, such attacks take place.
- ► 2017 (132)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Madhya Pradesh State to fight legal battle for Gir...
- Asiatic Lion Habitat in Perils...
- Leopard kills 9-year-old girl
- Leopard kills 9 year old girl
- Man-animal conflict is a 'sensitive' reality of Gi...
- 1,500 trees face the chop in Gir forest
- Lion kills its mate in Talala forest area
- Girnar ropeway gets entangled in political web
- Lion kills Lion for refusal of matting
- Gir lions can breathe easy for now
- Gujarat retains its ‘pride’, foils MP move to acqu...
- 'Relocate Maldharis outside the park'
- 'No taking Gujarat's pride out of Gir'
- State govt to oppose proposal to shift lions from ...
- African Cheetah likely to be translocated
- Punishment to Poachers upheld
- Pride of 14 lions spotted in Bhavnagar
- Shifting of lions to MP to be discussed on Sept 16...
- Pride of lions chased by train!
- Three leopard caged in rural Gir
- Lion attacks a shephard
- ▼ September 2009 (21)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)