Buffalo saves youth from lioness
Times of India
RAJKOT: In a rare wildlife incident, a buffalo saved a shepherd youth from the jaws of a lioness in Dhari-Tulsishyam range of Gir forest on Sunday morning. This incident left the youth injured. However, deputy forest officer of the range, M S Raja termed it as accidental attack. Official version said that the youth, Chheda Devayat (25), was injured while trying to save his cattle from the lions' attack.
According to villagers of Rajgariya Nase of Dhari-Tulsishyam road, Devayat had gone along with his three shepherd friends -- Mehul Bhammar, Lakhman Bhammar and Bhola Chheda, for cattle grazing in the jungle when they were confronted by the pride of five lions including a lioness.
"Suddenly, the lioness pounced upon Devayat. However, seeing his master being attacked, the buffalo owned by Devayat rushed to his rescue and drove away the big cat, brandishing horns," a villager narrated.
"However, Devayat was injured as the lioness had bitten off his buttocks," the villager said.
"The big cats beat a retreat as they were outnumbered by the flock of 50 to 60 buffaloes, which all rallied around the youths to protect them," he said.
Meanwhile, Devayat was rushed to Dhari government hospital, where he is recuperating.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- 11-member task force to curb lion poaching
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- Lion attacks a farmer
- Leopard trapped in Dhari
- Fire in Dalkhaniya range, no damages reported
- Lions attack for 4th time at Gir
- Major overhaul in forest dept
- Siddis dance to Obama tune
- Foresters puzzled over lion killing man
- Lion attacks one more outside Gir
- Villagers walk into Babra Virdi unchecked
- Most forest circles cannot handle emergencies
- Buffalo saves youth from lioness
- After lions kill man, forest dept files case again...
- Lions kill man at jungle show
- SC clears Amreli lion park
- Lioness carcass spotted at Dhari
- Forest guard bit two boys
- Village head bitten by Forest staff
- One more Lion death due to Open Well
- ▼ January 2009 (20)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)