After lions kill man, forest dept files case against 3 for trespassing
Express India By Sibte Husain Bukhari
Junagadh Rajesh Parmar (28), who was killed by a pride of lions on the outskirts of Gir, had entered the sanctuary illegally alongwith three of his friends. The incident had occurred on Friday afternoon in Barbara vidi reserved forest area. The deceased was the younger brother of Mangrol BJP councillor Kishan Parmar, who is also Mangrol city BJP president. The other three youths who could get away on their bikes are still at large and a complaint has been registered against them.
According to the Forest department, the four had entered the reserved forest illegally on two motorcycles and located a pride of lions. They went near the animals for a closer view. A full grown lion attacked them and Parmar was left behind when the others escaped on their bikes.
Foresters later rushed to the spot and recovered, albeit with great difficulty, the partly eaten cadaver of the victim. The lions had dragged the body 300 metres away from the spot.
K R Vaghasiya, Range Forest Officer (Veraval range), who monitored the entire operation, said, "After conducting postmortem at the government hospital in Maliya town, the body was handed over to victim's kin."
A case has been registered under Rule 2 (12) and 26 of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972, against the three for illegally entering the forest and teasing wild animals.
According to Vaghasiya, the offences are liable to punishment up to six months imprisonment or fine ranging between Rs 500 and Rs 2,000.
"No one has been arrested so far and no statement has been registered. At this stage, it would be premature to say if the victim's kin will receive compensation," he added.
Frequent illegal entry in Gir raises many questions on security of wildlife
- ► 2018 (90)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- 11-member task force to curb lion poaching
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- Lion attacks a farmer
- Leopard trapped in Dhari
- Fire in Dalkhaniya range, no damages reported
- Lions attack for 4th time at Gir
- Major overhaul in forest dept
- Siddis dance to Obama tune
- Foresters puzzled over lion killing man
- Lion attacks one more outside Gir
- Villagers walk into Babra Virdi unchecked
- Most forest circles cannot handle emergencies
- Buffalo saves youth from lioness
- After lions kill man, forest dept files case again...
- Lions kill man at jungle show
- SC clears Amreli lion park
- Lioness carcass spotted at Dhari
- Forest guard bit two boys
- Village head bitten by Forest staff
- One more Lion death due to Open Well
- ▼ January 2009 (20)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)