Hygiene levels in Delhi Zoo to be enhanced
Source : Times of India 21st Aug 2006
NEW DELHI: After the death of six endangered Asiatic lions in the Delhi zoo, Centre is taking steps to enhance hygiene levels in the premises to avoid recurrence of such incidents. As a precaution, the zoo authorities have moved a lioness and her two cubs to the zoo hospital, while four other lions have been shifted to a separate enclosure. A senior scientist with the Central Zoo Authority has asked the Delhi Zoo officials to focus on improving the hygiene in the zoo. "The enclosures should be kept clean and the water bodies must be sanitised regularly," he said.
Six Asiatic lions, including four cubs, have died in the zoo over the past three weeks, due to viral infection and heart attack. The zoo officials have sent samples of a two-year-old lioness, who died due to heart attack, to the Indian Veterinary Research Institute in Bareilly for examination. The Central Zoo Authority is also awaiting the report before taking any decision about intervention in the matter.
Animal welfare organisations also advocated for a clean environment in the zoo and called for its revamp. "The zoo is too old and needs to be revamped at the earliest," said Paragnya Paramita Panda of the Wildlife Trust of India.
On July 25, two cubs died just after Anita, a lioness, gave birth to four cubs. The rest died in hospital on July 26 followed by the death of an eight-year-old lioness on August eight. A zoo official said the lion wards have been sanitised after the deaths and animals were being given medicine as a precautionary measure.
Find Everything about ASIATIC LION & GIR at www.asiaticlion.org
or contact email@example.com
- ► 2017 (154)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)
- Why Did the Lion Lose His Mane?
- Saifai Lion Safari to realise Mulayam's dream
- Scientists study lion mane variability Source: h...
- Asiatic Lion injured.... Lion injured due to inte...
- Atul Singh Nischal wants all Asiatic Lion lovers t...
- Zoo in northern India sets up old age home for dyi...
- Gir lions on the verge of extinction Bahar Dutt C...
- firstname.lastname@example.org has sent you an article from...
- Waiting to die: last days of the cross-bred lions ...
- Lion Attacks youth in Dhari Source: Times News Ne...
- UP CM wants lion safari for Saifai Source 16 Sep, ...
- Gujarat expanding home for lions, says shifting ne...
- Lioness dead, leopard, jackal electrocuted in Gir ...
- Six Asiatic Lions die in Delhi Zoo
- Wells turn graveyards for Gir lions Source: Times ...
- ▼ September 2006 (15)