Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Gir lioness electrocuted in village

Gir lioness electrocuted in village
Indian Express

A young lioness died of electrocution at Sapar village in Visavadar taluka, located on Gir Wildlife Sanctuary periphery, of Junagadh district on Monday. A case of negligence will be registered against owner of farm where the incident occurred, said forest officials.

"A three-year-old lioness was found dead at Sapar village. The postmortem report showed she died of electric shock," said Gir (West Division) deputy forest officer R D Katara. The postmortem was done at the spot where the incident occurred.

The preliminary investigation revealed the lioness had stepped on a live wire inside the farm of one Dhanji Vekaria when she strayed out of the forest area in search of food. Forest officials said before she died, the lioness had preyed on a buffalo from the same village. "The wire was touching the ground," said Katara.

No comments:

Previous Posts