16 poachers get 5-yr jail for killing Gir lions
Times of India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/16_poachers_get_5-yr_jail _for_killing _Gir _lions/articleshow/4198248.cms
AHMEDADAD: In a landmark judgment in any wildlife poaching case in the country, a tribal gang of 16 from Katni in Madhya Pradesh was sentenced to five years' rigorous imprisonment for killing Asiatic lions of Gir by a Bhavnagar court.
Chief metropolitan magistrate, Bhavnagar, pronounced the case as a criminal conspiracy punishable under the Indian Penal Code besides the Wildlife Protection Act on Thursday. Prabhakar Keshav Gajakosh, the main accused and the rest, who are already in jail in an earlier Gir lion poaching case under wildlife laws, will now concurrently serve both the sentences with a fine of Rs 2,000. This is the highest term in any poaching incident across the country.
Carcasses of two lions were found buried in a private farm in Bhanderiya village of Jesar taluka, Bhavnagar district, with bones and claws missing, leading to suspicions of a poaching gang operating in Gir. Before that, five lions had been killed under mysterious circumstances in Gir forest in Junagadh. The accused who belong to Beliya tribe of MP were nabbed with spears and traps.
Chief metropolitan magistrate AI Shaikh convicted the accused under Section 429 (mischief by killing or maiming cattle, etc., of any value or any animal of the value of Rs 50) and 120 (B) (Punishment of criminal conspiracy) of IPC besides wildlife protection laws.
The court also directed the jail authorities to take care of the 15 children who were with the 16 accused. The court directed the authorities to take care of the upbringing of the children and also their education and report it back to the court.
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- ► 2011 (296)
- ► 2010 (415)
- 10 forest dept officers promoted
- Fresh fire in Gir, no casualty
- Fire in Babariya Range
- Poacher’s conviction : Hard work spelt success for...
- 10 ‘lion show’ hunters held in Gir
- 16 poachers get 5-yr jail for killing Gir lions
- From timber to tiger skin trade, Gajakosh did it a...
- Leopard dies in vehicle accident
- Five years imprisonment for 17 people in lion poac...
- Lions attack two in Amreli villages
- Carcass of cub found ; injured lioness caged
- Gir forest fire: was it sabotage?
- Lion bites a motor – cyclist
- Fire sweeps Gir forest
- 300 hectares of Gir razed in fire
- Forest fire in Mityala in Gir East
- 400 hectares gutted in forest fire, no casualty: F...
- King of the jungle facing threat
- Over 1,000 leopards in Gujarat
- Cattle Killing by Lions
- Eco club in schools near sanctuary
- Two young girls die by falling in Well
- ▼ February 2009 (22)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)