Ramesh seeks archaeological survey of Gujarat forest
Union Environment and Forests Minister Jairam Ramesh has urged Gujarat to undertake a thorough archaeological survey of the Girnar reserve forest, which is home to the Asiatic lion, as it could contain historical relics.
In a letter addressed to Chief Minister Narendra Modi dated April 21, the minister has pointed out that he was giving the advice on the suggestion of noted historian from the Delhi University, Nayanjot Lahiri, who recently visited the reserve forest and found the remnants of two stupas, possibly of Mauryan dynasty heritage.
According to Lahiri, many loose bricks were also found around it indicating there could have been other stupas in the vicinity.
'Therefore, it is urgent, that there is a complete survey of the stupa with accurate line drawings and photographs followed by careful archaeological conservation,' the minister said.
- ► 2018 (74)
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (128)
- ► 2015 (165)
- ► 2014 (139)
- ► 2013 (308)
- ► 2012 (493)
- Leopards, bears' population rise by 18.62%, 8.41%
- More leopards moving in to human neighbourhoods
- Female lion cub falls into forest well; dies
- Foresters play mother to leopard cubs
- Census puts leopards at 1,150, sloth bears at 280
- Pride forgives teen lion's fling, takes her back
- POINTLESS PANGA WITH PANGOLIN
- Lion falls into open well, dies
- Mobile surveillance of lions outside Gir
- WWF vehicles to help in patrolling
- Gir documentary finds place in LA fest
- Gujarat Forest Department bans setting up new hote...
- Cats show their camera-shy side
- Expert backs shifting of Gir lions to Kuno in MP
- Leopard numbers up 15-20%
- Wild fire: Activists fear two lion cubs missing, f...
- Foresters to catch big cats on camera
- Leopard census begins in state
- Nirma Cement plant not viable ecologically, says p...
- No hotels within 2km of Gir sanctuary
- Raids continue on stone quarries in Junagadh
- Lioness dies of snake-bite at Gir sanctuary
- Eco-sensitive zones around 4 Guj sanctuaries get n...
- Wildlife board members question nod to Girnar rope...
- Stupa from Mauryan era found in Gir sanctuary
- lion cubs born at Rampara Vidi, foresters jubilant...
- Leopard census to start from May 16
- Is competition with livestock detrimental for nati...
- Ramesh seeks archaeological survey of Gujarat fore...
- ▼ May 2011 (29)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (316)
- ► 2008 (342)
- ► 2007 (254)